Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Thankful.

In light of all the Hobby Lobby drama, I was reminded of a conversation I had with a doctor.

I was looking at a variety of birth control methods, and thought an IUD would be a good option, mainly because of the length of time it could be used for.

Upon further conversation with my doctor she realized what religion I was. She said, "I don't think your religion would approve the IUD." And I was confused, because my religion doesn't actually have a do or don't list of contraceptives, at least, that I'm aware of! But she further explained how the IUD worked. I realized that, wow, this isn't preventing pregnancy, it's preventing implantation. After I was educated about what it was, I made my own decision to not go with the IUD.

I kind of forgot about this, until recently, and realized I'm grateful for doctors that take the time to get to know their patients, and respect their beliefs. I'm sure this isn't the norm, but I think I will keep my doctor.

As far as Hobby Lobby goes, good for them.


No comments: