Friday, May 29, 2009

Sorry We're

Closed.



The dreaded chore of the DMV. This chore begins months in advance as you realize it's coming closer and closer to the time you HAVE to make the trek to the local DMV. So yesterday I geared up, researched all needed documents, (actually the day before but Laila woke up with a puddle of puke, so it had to be postponed another day)and headed to the DMV. I packed drinks, snacks, diapers, hand sanitizer(have you ever been anywhere more gross?), I was armed, ready for anything. EXCEPT, renovations.

So, I attempted a third time. Documents galore in tow, along with three girls, and waited in the line that went out the door. Finally got to the "information" desk where they weed everyone out that has the wrong documents, and give you a real number to wait in the real line. Well, Josh and I BOTH, are on the title - thus, he had to be present. I called him to meet me there, a 45 minute drive - and 2 and half hours later I left without a drivers' license, BUT I did get plates for the car.

While sitting in the crowded, smelly, dirty DMV, I thought to myself about a political issue at the top of the list for Barack Obama (B.O.), Universal HealthCare. Brilliant. The very government that can't get a DMV to run smoothly, efficiently, or even hygienically, should step into the world of Health Care. Folks, if you want quality health care, keep the government out of it. Health Care is not an entitlement. I went without for three years. A risk we had to take. But, We didn't smoke, we didn't mountain climb, we just tried to stay healthy. This program doesn't need more money, just more common sense.

Sigh. I want a politician with a creative mind, that can innovate good ideas for receiving the benefits - like quitting smoking classes, nutrition classes, and enrollment in exercise classes being required, if benefits are received. Just a thought.

By the way, is it time for new plates? Hope not.

10 comments:

The Terrell Family said...

Nationalized health care is a bad idea on so many levels, I have never thought about it from the perspective of the DMV. Profound. Fun talking with you today!!

Crystal said...

DMV is rough! Hate the place. But at least you're halfway done, right?

Anonymous said...

Obviously it's been a while since I've experienced the DMV...is it really that gross?! LOL

Sarah said...

I'm right there with you on UHC. BAD idea.

{leah} said...

Why does it take so long to get a stupid license??? You had one in your last state, you are still alive {so no fatal accidents} You don't look insane {on a normal day}.

Well... good luck next time.

Anonymous said...

I want national health care and I have a good plan for my family. Too many people don't and I feel in the good ole' USA, it should be an entitlement. Did you have maternity insurance when your children were born? Actually, the DMV runs very smoothly here in NE Florida- a clerk individually assigns you to a window and there is little wait.

Lucy said...

Thank you anonymous commenter. Honest Dialogue is always nice.

I had medicaid for my first child. (My husband was a full time college student at the time)

I had GOVERNMENT insurance for the next two, thanks to the military, it was the crappiest care of all.

I paid 1400 out of pocket for my last one. That was with private insurance. And was the best care I received.

My husband dedicated six years of his life to his country. And we've worked hard from the beginning to get were we are.

I truly believe work hard = unbelievable opportunities.

I know bad things happen to good people. And being without insurance is awful. I've been there. But I don't feel the right solution is to give everyone healthcare - or to even regulate it. For those hardworking americans that pay for their insurance, they ought to be able to choose their doctors, and their care.

If someone chooses to smoke for example, their health care costs will be extraordinary. Should I pay for their care, when I choose NOT to smoke?

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why you do not feel everyone deserves health care. The simple fact of it is many people cannot afford it and we're not talking about a car or vacation here. We all get a free education- is that something you feel everyone has a right to have? As for smoking and drinking alcohol, I so agree- that's why I say TAX, TAX. My town has a clinic for poor people staffed by volunteers but it can only afford to open 2 evenings a week for very limited hours.

Lucy said...

I'm really not a big bad guy who thinks the poor should lay sick on the street. I've been poor. I've been without care.

You want free health care join the military! Seriously, it's a job with benefits. There are ways to get health care in this country.

I'm saying that individuals have their own responsibility to provide care for themselves. It is not the governments responsibility to provide health care.

This doesn't mean there isn't responsibility to the sick and weary. There should be safety nets, for college students, for example.

I just don't think government should be a part of the care. I would like to see ONE example of a government run health care program that has worked and has the same quality of care we have.

It's not cheap to become a doctor, nor is it a quick process. To have the best doctors the best equipment, and not to mention research costs, health care is expensive.

Perhaps the government could spend money on investing in health - tax breaks for companies that provide gym memberships to their employees???

I don't know the answers, I just know I want to keep the same quality of care that my family has earned. And that government doesn't do anything efficiently. I think it would be MORE expensive under a government run program.

Thanks for you courteous, and honest dialogue. It's refreshing.

Josh said...

I think that the idea of everyone having health insurance is a great one, but the reality is a different story. I have yet to see an effective model that has been implemented by antoher country. Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security are all struggling to stay afloat and I have no reason to expect that a universal healthcare program would fare any better. I've experienced healthcare through the military and the VA and I feel that is a good indication of the quality of health care we could expect, which is not the same quality one would get when they go to a private doctor or hospital. Not only would the quality of care go down, but how would we pay for it? We can't just increse taxes on cigarettes and expect that to foot the bill. We're already looking at massive tax increases to pay for all of the debt that the government is currently accumulating and universal healthcare is just adding fuel to the fire. I understand the desire for healthcare for everyone, but the government simply isn't the vehicle to make that happen.