Monday, July 05, 2010

My dad told me so.



Earlier in the day on the 4th, I called my dad to wish him a Happy Birthday. I enjoyed a fun chat, usually we celebrate back home in Indiana, but not this year.

I decide to throw my own party instead of the traditional trip home. I bought candles, fireworks, glow bracelets, bottled beverages, stuff for s'mores, and the list goes on.

Activities for the party included sidewalk chalk, croquet, a new playset, and a bonfire. I know it's hot, but really, I had a pile of crap I was tired of looking at, from the snow storms this year. Josh and I have seriously had no fewer than 5 bonfires. We do it regularly. NEVER, have we had a problem. EVER.

UNTIL we had twenty witnesses.

Back up to the phone conversation, I told my dad all about the party, including the bonfire. He says to me and I quote: "You need to have not one, BUT THREE, buckets of water, you know, just in case." "ok, dad". We only did ONE.

Imagine now, dry grass, huge fire... now to grown adults using buckets, coolers, lids, etc. to get this fire put out. Seriously, TOTAL mayhem. Thanks to some people with quick thinking we were able to put it out without any major damage.

But the lesson learned?

Dad ALWAYS knows best.

and P.S. Heath parties are always rockin'. Sorry you missed it.

3 comments:

Brandee said...

OH MY GOSH...LOL. Lucy, Lucy, Lucy...

becca said...

dad does know a lot! but dont tell him that.

Arielle said...

I tried to enlist the kids with their squirt guns to help put it out but they were very obedient and wouldn't use the spigot.