Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Birthday Boy


Today is Colson's SEVENTH birthday. Wow. I thought turning thirty would make me feel old. This is a bad year altogether for the age thing...

What do you say about your first born?? Are there words to describe the moment before you were a mother, to the moment after? Only mothers can understand this incredible moment. And how lucky I feel to have been able to have children. Wow, what a blessing!!

I won't bore you with the "birthing story" but I'll tell you a little bit about Colson. We started "trying" almost right away after getting married, thinking it would take a few months to get pregnant. Not so much. We were prego immediately. I still can remember Josh sitting on the bathroom floor with his head down, asking are you sure you did it right?? :) SO FUNNY!! We were not ready for that little guy quite yet, but Heavenly Father knew we needed him right then. I was six days late with Colson, and boy was that the longest week ever. He was born at 4:02 in the morning, after a decent labor, with drugs, and thankfully fairly quick.

I immediately felt like I knew what I was doing, which is a great feeling to be confident as a mother, I think that was only at the beginning, because now, well, times have changed and the confidence is slowly creeping out the window.

He's been a pleasant child, very easygoing, and is full of personality. He's my intellect, and loves all things science. He's built like his dad tall and lanky,, with an amazing aptitude for learning. He's the only one of my children that looks anything like me, no matter what anyone says!! Hallie has my personality but looks like her Grandpa Heath. He is joyful, passionate, considerate, a deep thinker, and has a spirit like no other. I've known for quite sometime that he is sensitive to spiritual things. He was 3 years old and building an alter to pray to Heavenly Father out of toilet paper. In this world where things of the world seem to be more important, like money, cars, houses, nicest clothes, etc. It's a breath of fresh air to have someone like Colson around. I know he still desires "worldly" things, and I think he's spoiled considering my upbringing, but overall the boy is quite uplifting. He treasures his friends, and misses them dearly as he's moved from place to place, he remembers Matthew, from Indiana, Katie, from Muncie, Brendan from Fort Carson, Haley, Livvy, and Emma from Cali, and Chris and Stewart from Fort Meade. How I've hated moving him away from his friends.

He's also been through more than most kids, his dad has left for Basic Training, and three deployments, totaling over 2 years. He's lived in five states in five years. And has prayed often for his dad's safety. I can't imagine carrying that burden for such a little guy. He's been a sport through it all and has even prayed for me, when things have gotten rough. He's been memorizing the Articles Of Faith, which are about our basic beliefs, and doing a great job!

I also can't not mention his ingenuity, as he's created costumes, art, and elaborate knex and lego structures.

He is also my only son, so far! Which makes him that much more special to me.

So, as I'm sitting here, making 20 key lime pies in cupcake holders for his 1st grade class, I have a smile on my face thinking about Colson and how fortunate we are that he was sent to us 7 years ago.

We love you, and happy 7th!!

13 comments:

{leah} said...

Happy Birthday Colson!!!! My, time does fly. Lucy, this made me sead a tear, I love what kids do for me (On the better days anyway) and open my eyes to how much they really take in if we let them. Here's to another year!

The Galan Family said...

What a sweet little tribute to Colson. He is such a great kid! Abby sure does think so! :) What's he doing in say... 15 years or so? Happy Birthday Colson!

Emily said...

How sweet. It's always so nostalgic on your first child's birthday. I so remember running into you on the night I went into labor with Annie. Come to think of it, you were there on the night I went into labor with Ben too! Can you believe he will be 2 next month? Hope you all have a special day!

Lucy said...

Emily, I remember that, too! Twice? I was also there with Lindsay the night before she delivered, too!! Something about me puts women into labor.

Nana said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, COLSON! Hopefully we'll get to talk to you this evening!
Nana and Grandpa

Amanda said...

Where in Florida were you and why didn't you tell me? Though I'm guessing you weren't in my part of Florida. It's been a bit cool here for going to the beach so it's probably good you weren't. Glad you had fun and got a tan!

Amanda said...

Oh, and Happy Birthday Colson!! Sorry, posted the FL comment on the wrong post. :)

Des said...

I can't believe he is 7!! I remember teaching that guy as a sunbeam. Time has really flown by. Happy Birthday Colson! I really enjoyed being yours and stewarts sunbeam teacher. You taught me a lot even though I was the teacher. I will remember your innocent little comments and strong determination even at 4yrs old. You were a great example to me.

Erin said...

Happy Birthday Colson! We hope you have a great day. What a great post about a wonderful boy. My family loves key lime pie too. I like the idea of doing something different for the school treat. How fun!

becca said...

Happy Birthday to Colson! He sure is a special kid and I just love him to pieces. He made me feel like the best aunt ever when I came to visit! hugs and smiles and fun abound! Love that kid! Give him a big ole extra kiss from me!!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Colson! We love you and miss you! Hope you had a great birthday! Love Uncle Jared, Aunt Kimmie and Cousin Andy!

Unknown said...

Wow, you brought tears to my eyes with your sweet tribute to your son. I think the line about that moment where you switch from not being a mom to becoming a mom really struck a chord with me (as I'm sure it does with all mothers) as the change is nearly tangible in the way you evolve in that second. Thanks for your great example and Happy Birthday Colson!

Gwenda said...

What an awesome photograph of him!

Happy Birthday, Colson!