Saturday, February 13, 2010

Why running makes me feel good.


I have spent the last few months working on my physical body. I've lost a total of 29 pounds, no I'm not skinny... but I've gone from my heaviest NOT pregnant weight, to pre-baby weight. I've been doing that special weight loss diet that is sold in so many different ways... Do you want the secret? I will tell you FOR FREE. Eat Right and Exercise. I know most of my weight loss has come from the choice to eat less junk, and control my portions. However, I will admit to regularly attending the gym, which I know has helped. But part of this whole process, I have really learned to love running. I wanted to take a minute to document why.

1. Over time, my muscles have definition. I look stronger, and I feel stronger.

2. When I begin the run my breathing is heavy and hard, and my body is clunky (is that a word?), as the run continues I find a rhythm. My body moves freely, and my breathing becomes slow and steady. I love this place.

3. Sometimes I'm tempted to eat a cupcake. But I remember that it takes me a good and hard 30 minutes to burn 330 calories. It's worth it sometimes. But not always.

4. It gives me the opportunity to set goals and achieve them. Running farther than I have ever run, Running faster, I can come up with all kinds of ways to challenge myself, and give myself some opportunities for success. Go Charlottesville 10 Miler!!

5. Running is an escape. I can put in my ear phones, play my favorite music, and pretend I'm somewhere else. Literally leaving behind whatever I want to.

6. Running is for all ages, I love that I consistently run next to old people. I pray I'm old and still running. Sometimes I see young kids running around the track. There is very little skill in putting one foot in front of the other, we can all do it!

7. Afterwards, my skin looks amazing.

8. The physical exertion of working hard and sweating profusely feels amazing. It makes me want to do it again and again and again.

I had a great run today. I wanted to remember why.

You know, if you haven't done it for awhile, pick up your dusty running shoes, and hit the road. You might find yourself a new friend, or a long lost one.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome! I have the same clunky feeling when I first start running, probably for the first mile, but then I fall into a rhythm too and relax. For me it's about the realization that I've already completed some of the run and accomplished at least that much. I love the feeling of pushing a little extra at the end and finishing with that great high of adrenaline. Thanks for the reminder about how good it feels to run! Keep it up and good luck in the 10 miler!

Linds said...

You Rock! 30 pounds! You are my inspiration, now, can I borrow some of that will power?

The Galan Family said...

Thanks for reminding me why I love to run too. It feels so good. (not always during, but amazing afterward.) It does however feel good during a run when you can feel your body kick into the next gear especially during long distances. You are right, running is so basic and just about anyone can do it and it is so good for you. Keep it up. Glad you found your old friend again :)

becca said...

maybe I will actually get up and go to the gym tomorrow, and run... :)

clunky, Yah I know what you mean. Ok, I am feeling just a smidge more motivated right now. Good for you!!! love you sis!

Joshua Hensley said...

Well said Lucy!

Lori said...

Yeah! You're blogging again! I knew you couldn't help yourself. I'm completely inspired to start running. Now...if I could just find my darn ipod.

Mad Queen said...

Love this post. I too found a love for running! I could relate to all of your points... it feels really good. I used to hate/dread going but now I plug in my i-pod and I escape. It is heaven.

Unknown said...

Great job on the weight loss lucy! I've recently been thinking about my running days and have been wanting to get out and run too. I plan after the baby to start walking every day until September 1 and then start jogging again. My goal is to run a 4 miler on Thanksgiving day, Jer is going to do it with me. I'm way excited! I love it! Congrats!!!