Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Smuggler



The sucking of the fingers. This is the problem when your kids don't take pacifiers. I have been trying to figure out how to break this child of the habit. Most recently we said "Good-Bye" to her green blanket. We folded it and put it up in the closet, so when she missed it she could blow kisses to it.

Hallie's soothing technique includes, fuzzies, (pulled fuzzies of blankets, sweaters etc.)and her fingers. She rubs the little fuzzies under her nose, and sucks her fingers. Don't ask me! ANYWAY, we said good bye. We hoped without the fuzz she would then stop sucking her fingers. But, to no avail. She found daddy's manshaw from Pakistan to fulfill the void of the green blanket. Needless to say, when she wasn't feeling well on Tuesday, I yanked the green blanket down, and she took a great nap.

Any Ideas on how to stop this habit, I'd love to know it!!

3 comments:

Gwenda said...

Four of my seven sucked either their fingers or thumb. I also had several blanket lovers, and yes, they did the under the nose rub as well! I wasn't bothered by it. In time they only did their habit at night while going to bed. Eventually they stopped on their own. Personally, I think Hallie seems young to be stopping her habits just yet. I wouldn't worry about it until she's sitting through her school day with fingers in her mouth.

becca said...

Time.

Is there a rule somewhere that says you have to break her of this habit? I dont still sleep with my blankie do I? I never sucked my fingers, but if her teeth get messed up, just get her some braces. Hakuna Matata.

Emily said...

You always beat me to the punch, Lucy! I was putting up a post about hannah and her finger sucking, but had to save it since i needed to SCAN some pics when she was a baby. Once she started school, hannah stopped sucking her fingers. I was amazed. Yet, when she is sick, or especially sad from being in trouble, she still sucks and chomps her blankey till it's wet, and rubs it under her nose. Once she was three, we made the steadfast rule of no blanket out of the house, or out of her room, unless she was sick. It stays in her bed. So, i don't think there is any rule of trying to get them to stop, but that's what we did.
emily g