Monday, August 04, 2008

The Military Wife

In church today we were honoring Heroines. And it came to me that so many of my heroines, or women I look up to, have been military wives. It's kind of like a secret organization that we only understand. Like a sorority in a way. Anyway, I just said a little about how military wives struggle and sacrifice so much, they do a lot on their own, and for some, they give their spouses. I talked about how they drag their multitudes of little ones to church alone, for years on end. And they don't get awards or promotions or recognition for these sacrifices. I said that as Josh and I were ending our military careers, these wives have been my strength and my family.

My last two close friends just left me alone in this ward, with only one other military wife (i've got one other dear friend in another ward close to me). I realized that these women I've come to rely on more than I knew were kind of gone, I was entering a new phase. And it is always bittersweet, to realize you're moving on. But can I say this since 99 percent of my readers are the very women I've talked about. You women are amazing. I love you just by watching your strength, and although I'm not one of you anymore, I admire you, just like I always have.

10 comments:

Crystal said...

you're gonna make me cry. It's so true that military wives do so much. But I've been lucky. But as I come into a phase where I'll have to do more, I'm so grateful that I have women who understand. Hugs!

Sarah said...

I know what you mean. One of the best things about Steve being in the Army is all of the amazing women I've met. I feel so connected to you guys. You know what it's like -the moving, the separation, the worrying, the stress. It really is like a club. You don't truely understand until you've lived it. That makes me miss all my military wife friends that much more. I love you guys!!

The Galan Family said...

Amen to everything you said. I love my military sistas!!

{leah} said...

I felt the same way when Steve was done. And not being in the "club" really makes you realize how much you life revoles around it. Beacuse it's the military wives that take care of you when your husband is gone. I think the strongest friends that I have formed is because of the military.(and I'm so thankful!!!) One thing that I have found out is that even though you are not totally "in" on everything, you are always invited back, and once a military wife, always a military wife. It's a bond that will never change.

Anonymous said...

Lucy, thank you for sharing htat today. It was very inspiring and a wonderful reminder of the "other" sacrifices involved in serving our country.

The Terrell Family said...

Not that it is the same on any level, military wives are MY heros, but resident wives have been my strength during our stay here. Like I said, no comparisson on a sacrifice or a commitment level, but it takes people in your situation to understand what you're going through rather than just feel bad for you.

Emily said...

I miss being an army wife! Or maybe it's that i miss being around other army wives! YOu are soo right- great to catch up the other day:)

MaryRuth said...

I wanted to be a military wife so bad. I begged and begged my husband my husband to join... but he felt he had already done his 20 years by moving all over the world as an army brat. sigh. I would have been a good military wife.

Thanks for all those who serve and support our country!

becca said...

This is so well written Lucy! As a regular ole' wife I don't have this experience, but I can say as your sister, I am very grateful to all the other military wives who have taken care of you wherever you have lived since you were not close to family to help you! You have always shared amazing stories about your friends, and I think that is so great!

becca said...

This is so well written Lucy! As a regular ole' wife I don't have this experience, but I can say as your sister, I am very grateful to all the other military wives who have taken care of you wherever you have lived since you were not close to family to help you! You have always shared amazing stories about your friends, and I think that is so great!