Friday, August 29, 2008

Open Minded, Not so much.


It's true. I've been born and raised a Republican - the advice I received growing up was, when in doubt vote Republican. Simple as that. My dad grew up poor as poor can be. I am sure there's stories he hasn't told us, however, I do know that I once told him how I stole a bunch of "For Sale" signs, yard decor, pylons, etc. from peoples' yards with my friends and stockpiled them in someone else's yard, FOR FUN. Don't ask, I didn't drink, and this was as creative as we got. Anyway, he said, that's funny, cause when I was a kid we would go around and steal people's food out of their gardens. Yeah, an interesting thought.

My dad grew up in a rough part of town, where I'm sure several people might have described it as "white trash". Parents that had problems with alcohol, and very little money, education was not on the horizon for most kids. A bleak future indeed. As many people would like to say, these are the people that "deserve" a handout. Well, my dad dropped out of high school, joined the Army, was promptly sent to Vietnam, where during that time, he took a college class, History, and got a "C". A high school dropout that got a "C" in a college class. He told me once, this was the moment that he realized, he could do something more. So, he eventually got out of the military, worked 2 or 3 jobs at a time, while working on a bachelor's degree (did I mention he had a young family, and kids to boot), and later as a single dad raising two girls, he got his MBA.

In a sociology class I took in college, the professor was preaching about how we are limited in this society, poor people stay poor, rich people pass on their riches. To some extent this is true. I know people that have had an advantage, help with college, or help with payments from their families to buy a home, etc. I can't deny I was given opportunities that not all receive. But I know one thing. "Excuses are like a$$holes, everyone has one." Sorry for the bluntness, it must be my redneck heritage coming out.

There seems to be several questions regarding this campaign, and for me, it's clear as day. I guess I'm lucky, I know what I don't want. I don't want a government bailout, I don't think Americans should be punished for being wealthy, and I don't think anyone should get a free ride. Obama sounded like a preacher with his hopes and dreams for America. Which is a great thing. But I don't want him to spend my money on his hopes and dreams. Don't get me wrong, I WILL HELP FINANCIALLY, but I want to CHOOSE who I help, with my money, that I worked hard to get. Josh and I sacrificed a lot to pay for our education, it wasn't free.

I hope I didn't disclose too much about my dad, he has faults, but one thing he has that few people have, is a work ethic beyond anyone I know. He never got a dole, and today, is making his mark in this world, jumping two social classes, something my Sociology teacher told me was basically impossible.

But I believe in America where anything is possible. Where a mother of five, who started her political career in the PTA, can run for VP of the United States. What a choice for McCain. I love what I'm reading about her, she sold the previous Governor's jet on ebay to save the state of Alaska money. She's pro-life, opposed to gay marriage, understands energy problems, and so much more. If you're truly unsure of who to vote for, I beg of you to research ON YOUR OWN, not listening to the spew from the media. This is a historic and important election, do your part, educate yourself and VOTE.

If you know me, I have opinions, strong ones, and perhaps I'm not so open minded. But now you know why. I have a heritage to honor and respect.

Go McCain/Palin 08.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Lucy, I love your post. You spelled out exactly what I dislike about the Democratic party. (Btw, my dad grew up poor too -I'm talking no indoor plumbing poor.) My mom was a die-hard liberal for years. She eventually switched sides and is now very conservative. She told me she changed her mind because she realized throwing money at a problem doesn't fix it.

Sonia said...

You've said it all, and you've said it right. It's amazing how far a little drive and accountability will take you. I'm happy to say that one of my best friends and my husband finally have something in common...;}

The Terrell Family said...

Thanks Lucy. Loved the post. I agree with you whole heartedly.

Marianne said...

Well said Lucy.

becca said...

this is a wonderful post Luc. Makes me very proud of dad. He has drive no doubt about that. here here.

Erin said...

I have to admit that McCain's choice for VP has made me give the republican ticket more thought. She seems pretty fantastic. But I would like to say that I am very grateful for the government help that we got as students (WIC, MEdicaid). It enabled us to not put off having kids until after we were out of school. I don't mind paying back into that system now that we have a job.

Mad Queen said...

Awesome... I liked hearing a heartfelt opinion on politics... a welcomed change from what I normally hear.

Emily said...

I love Palin! Love the post too!