Monday, March 15, 2010

Sometimes the right thing is the hard thing.



As a mother we regularly make decisions. What's for dinner, when is it time for new shoes, FHE or early bedtime? It's exhausting being the decision maker.

Sometimes the decisions are easy. But, other times, decisions are tough, even when you know they are the right ones.

This weekend I sent my baby boy off to Nana's house. She just happens to be a 3rd grade teacher back in Indiana. (Cherri if you're reading this don't tell dad! Colson wants to surprise him this weekend) Colson is my only boy, he's the oldest, and the only one to suffer through all of the long deployments. This one has been the toughest on the family, as so many of you have figured out by my craziness. However, when Josh presented me with the idea of Colson finishing the school year in Nana's class, I thought he had gone crazy, too.

With a lot of thought, and discussion, we left the decision up to Colson. He chose Nana. Although it was excruciating to let my son go, I know it really will be a great opportunity for all of us. He sure could use the extra attention, and especially a break from a mom that hasn't been herself.

So today is Colson's first day of school with Nana as his teacher. I can't stop thinking about him!

Colson hope it goes well! We love you and miss you, (even Hallie, who's moping around everywhere, but won't admit it's because her brubba isn't home).

Remember, the frogs you catch out in the yard do NOT go in the teacher's desk!!

9 comments:

becca said...

first of all, LOVE the profile picture! You look so slim, even in just your face! Maybe there is hope for me. LOVE the hat! Babe! Wonderful picture of the brubba too. Such a handsome young man. I cant wait to hear about his first day of school with Nana. How fun! Im sure it was a very tough decision, but Lucy, I think at the end of it all, you will find your family nicely put back together again very soon. He is going to have a great time! Love you sis!

becca said...

I forgot, the whole thing i wanted to say was, Luke loves the Power Rangers. Watches them ALLLLLL the time. This weekend I caught part of an episode where a little boy stole $5 off the table where a power ranger worked (part time of course). The ranger guy tracked him down and stopped him, found out the kid wanted to buy a kite. So he told him he needed to work hard to earn it. The ranger said, "The easy way and the right way are almost NEVER the same thing." Those rangers, so wise.

The Galan Family said...

Lucy, when I opened up your page and saw the picture of Colson, I immediately started tearing up. What is wrong with me? Geez! This post made me totally cry. Because I KNOW how hard this decision was for you but you also KNOW what Colson needs right now and what is best for him. He does need some special attention right now and I think this will be a good change for him even though its temporary. I really hope it all goes well. Love you and keep being the great mom that you are!

Linds said...

Wait, is this Lucy's blog? It looks like Lucy's blog but I don't recognize this woman! You look amazing!

Okay, now for the important stuff.

That picture of Colson is a great one. I feel for you today and what you must be going though, but admire you for making the tough decision. Many women (like me) wouldn't be able to get over themselves and realize what is best for their son. I'm proud of you.

Emily said...

Oh lucy, how tough for you! If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure Colson will have an awesome time. I spent a lot of time with my Grandma growing up, and she is still one of my favorite people. I don't think anyone can overestimate the great influence a good grandparent can have. I love the new look of your blog- and you look great too! I'm sending you good vibes.

Unknown said...

I have to tell you, I know it would be very hard, I can't even imagine a few days let alone a couple of months but you did make the right decision! We are happy to have him around here and the great influence he's going to have on Andy! He's already missing Colson today since he saw him last night! And remember, he's in good hands with Nana and Grandpa! He's such a great kid! You are such a great Mom and I know he loves you! We keep you in our prayers every night and just think, this deployment is just a little bit away! :D

MaryRuth said...

What a tough choice! I hope its awesome and that the school year goes by fast!

Love your new blog and your new picture... you look great!

Brandee said...

Tough decision - but so good for everyone!! Colson will bond with his grandparents like few kids ever have the chance to! And what kid (especially the oldest kid...believe me, I know) doesn't fantasize about being an only child every once in a while! :) It's just temporary, and really, just makes a lot of sense. Hang in there - you know he is in great hands!

Monique said...

Decision after decision, you are still the mom and the best one to make those decisions. I have complete faith that you didn't take this decision lightly and what a smart move to involve Colson. He's a smart good boy and what an amazing experience for him!! What can be better than being taught by his Nana?? I am sure you are instilling some GREAT memories for him.