Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The unexpected role of a mother.

Yes, last night, I had THE CLOSEST scare of my life with one of my children.

I had made dinner, tortellini, and was sitting with the kiddos as I look over at Laila who is choking/crying. I'm watching her, and realize she's not making normal choking sounds. I'm still calm, pull off the tray, pull off her bib. I tilt her over to start in on a gentle Heimlich. When I finally realize this is beginning to get serious, I am frantically searching for the phone, freaking out, and yelling to Colson I need the phone to call 911, meanwhile, my Heimlich maneuver now has a bigger sense of urgency as I'm running through the house with my arm under her ribs, when all of a sudden that stupid tortellini comes flying out.

I just set her down on the floor and stood their shaking, my heart was pounding, and this was probably not more than a minute, but it felt like an eternity. Laila immediately scoots herself over to her chair, and starts eating the tortellini again. I had to pull myself out of the shock, and get over there to get everything out of her way. She's mad at me, hungry and ready to eat some more. No idea, how close she was to meeting her first EMT's.

So yes, I wipe bums, I teach about the gospel (harlots and all), I sing made up songs out of tune, etc. But yeah, I'm a life-saver, too.

By the way, I would recommend cutting tortellinis in half for little ones.

7 comments:

becca said...

ooh that is so scary! I am not sure how I would handle the choking. we have done other ER runs, but choking is just downright scary. hope you are ok this morning. I will call you to check on you.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Lucy. I'm crying at just the thought and the fear you must have had. It's really a miracle our children survive as long as they do...maybe thanks to watchful mothers like yourself! Had you been busy doing something else, somewhere else....*shudder*

Hayden once choked on a hard candy. I didn't know he was choking until he was sorta vomiting. The force of vomiting must have helped the candy come up.

Amy said...

you are super mom! that is so scary lucy! glad she is ok.

Des said...

I know the feeling of panic, the shaking nerves and horrible thoughts that go through your head at moments like those. NOT FUN! I had one of the twins I was a nanny for choke on a grape. The other on a sucker from the bank in the CAR! The worst was when Gabby choked on watermelon and all the techniques that always worked for me in the past failed. Yep, 911 call from us. With 4min 11sec response time. She passed it by the time they came but was still blue. I'm sure I had a mini heart attack that day that will plague me later in life. The best technique I use if it happens again. Tip them upside down and hit their back in a downwards motion. If that doesn't work. Stick your finger down their throat once there, make a hook and try to bring the food up. I've used this more times then I can count. Learned it in my CPR classes that were required when I was a nanny. Sorry you had to go through that:( Every mother should be spared.

Crystal said...

scary! But you kept a level head and took care of her. You are a super mom!

{leah} said...

There seriously needs to be a certificate or something that moms get for doing all that we do!! I'm glad Laila is ok, and that you were able to help her.

Erin said...

Good for you Lucy. What a scary moment.