Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Poor Colson.



At 18 months I took Colson to his first dental appt., Young I know, but he had teeth and we had insurance, why not? The dentist spotted a crossbite immediately. For seven years now and several consultations, I've known this was inevitable. Today we had an appt. with an orthodontist. I was going to try and sneak this dental procedure in before we got out of the Army to maximize dental benefits, but it doesn't look like we'll be able to do it. Needless to say, we'll probably wait for the new job, and new insurance, but the bill 2230.00. That's right, that's not even braces. The insurance should pay for half of that. WOWSERS!!

Here's what the orthodontist said and I quote: "Very rarely do we treat children so young, but with this condition, we do." Of course, the rarity is Colson, the only child of mine, that doesn't suck fingers!!! His crossbite, needs to be fixed while the roof of his mouth still has a soft spot, this makes it less painful, and has nothing to do with his teeth, just the bone structure. If we were to wait until adulthood, he would need oral surgery. Oh, o.k. then it can be his problem and not ours!! Just Kidding!!

Apparently they treat it with an expander for four months, and then retainers for a year. This allows them to expand the upper jaw, and allow for new bone growth to take place and make it permanent.

He was such a sport as they peaked in and did all the measuring/xrays, etc. Problem is, this doesn't guarantee he won't need braces either!!

Good thing the average salary of someone getting out of the military and an MBA is 104,000. Isn't that a great statistic Josh was told at his briefing yesterday?? Sweet. Here's to hoping!!

7 comments:

{leah} said...

Believe it or not James is going to have the same thing done to him. He is a little young still (4) but the dentiset said he'll need to have his top jaw dided when he's nine so all of his teeth will fit, and so it's not so painful.

Have you thought of coming to Sierra Vista? They have TONS of contracting jobs here and always seem to be hirering. Since josh has been over seas and has "real world" experiance he should be able to find something quickly. Let me know if he (you) are interested and I"ll tell you more.

I could always use another friend out here, and the more crazies the better -huh

Gwenda said...

UGH! Can't believe you have to put all that money into his young mouth!

Unknown said...

Hey buddy, we hope everything goes well!

Kim, Jared and Andy!

Emily said...

Oh, what a bummer. Of course, as soon as you start to have money, those darn kids start sucking it all up! I guess they're worth it;)

becca said...

well, tell colson he can ask his Aunt all about this when the time comes. This is a very clear memory in my childhood, although I was a lot older than Colson. Gotta love teeth.

EmilieAn said...

Oh man. We're going to have to do the same thing. I didn't think they could do it so young. I'm going to have to make an appointment for Brenner then. Brian had one when he was 10 or 12. Younger would always be better. Less to really remember.

good luck with it.

LNJ said...

Well, I totally sympathize with poor Colson, I was his age when I got my first retainer. It wasn't that bad, except that I couldn't have any candy or anything sticky. I remember my parents splitting up my Halloween candy between my brothers and trying to keep from crying. But it was totally worth it, cause who has the best smile now?!?